A recent study, cited below, has confirmed some tried and proven concepts, that a well-rounded approach to marketing is best.
The Economist Intelligence Unit and Lyris conducted a report, which concluded that marketers are eager to build up social media, blogs, and mobile outlets, but email holds more sway in the purchasing process.
The report, which was based on a pair of concurrent surveys of consumers and marketing executives in the US and UK, also found that gaps exist in marketers’ perceptions of how consumers want to engage with brands, what influences their purchase decisions, and how they view privacy.
Email Preferred Over Social, Blogs
- Consumers like social media for promotions (62%), but they predominantly prefer to learn about products via company websites (51%), email (19%), and independent websites (19%).
- Even for younger consumers surveyed, those age 20-30, email ranked second (19%) behind company websites (48%) as the preferred way to engage with a brand—far ahead of social media sites (5%) and blogs (2%).
Customization Over Personalization
- Consumers surveyed said the volume of personalized marketing messages they receive has increased over the past five years.
- The majority (63%) said personalization is now so common that they have grown numb to it, and 33% of consumers cited superficial personalization as one of their top annoyances.
- Only 14% of consumers said they are more likely to read personally addressed messages, yet personalization remains the second most popular marketing strategy of the executives surveyed.
- Though consumers are put off by superficial personalization, they do appreciate customized product recommendations.
What can we take from these findings:
- Consumers still visit websites to obtain most the of their information about products.
- Email is still a great form of Marketing to your customer base.
- While personalized email are much more common the lack of using them will be noticed.
This findings confirm that the best approach for marketing you property portal is a well-rounded approach, Website functional, Email campaigns, Customized product selection for customer base and of course social media. There is no one silver bullet.
About the research: The Economist Intelligence Unit conducted two concurrent surveys, sponsored by Lyris, in March 2013. One asked 409 consumers and the other 257 executives about the effectiveness of different marketing channels. The respondents were balanced evenly between the US and the UK.